Drama at Loreto Toorak provides great inspiration and enrichment for the students. It gifts them with practical and communication skills that can be applied to life beyond school.
All students from Preparatory to Year 8 study Drama as part of their core curriculum, and it can be selected as an elective in Years 9 and 10.
Theatre Studies is also available to students in Years 11 and 12.
Participation in Drama develops skills through play building and practical exploration. Students collaborate with peers and professional practitioners to enhance their knowledge of a variety of theatrical forms. Drama fosters critical thinking skills through the analysis of theatre with students attending a range of productions, both professional and student-based.
The Drama Program also includes:
• Performing Arts Festival – involving all students from Years 7-12
• Year 6 Musical Production
• Winter and Spring Plays with Xavier College
• Senior and Middle School Musicals with St Kevin’s College
• Interhouse Drama Festival
• Drama Club – open to Years 7-12 and run by the Drama Captain and support crew
• Stage Crew – offering students the opportunity to develop production skills
Voice & Speech
Voice and Speech is offered to students in Years 5 - 12 and provides the opportunity to develop their oral communication skills in a positive, engaging and supportive environment. The overall aim is to produce confident, articulate young women with highly developed interpersonal and presentation skills.
The small group classes are specifically designed to cater for the needs and interests of individuals, whilst promoting interaction and communication. They also develop a love and appreciation of various forms of literature from verse to prose. This enhances clarity of speech and a pleasant, unstrained vocal tone which assist developing public speaking skills and strategies.
Voice and Speech also offers a rich program of performance opportunities for our girls including:
• Year 5 Voice and Speech Presentation Afternoon
• Year 6 AMEB Oak Parlour presentations (open to parents)
• Year 7 & 8 Voice and Speech Performance Evening
• ‘Lend us your Ears’ Oak Parlour Showcase (Verse, Prose and Music from Year 7-11)
• Eisteddfod by the Bay
• Boroondara Eisteddfod
• AMEB examinations in Speech and Drama