The 13 acres of land on the north-east corner of Orrong and Malvern Roads in Toorak were initially purchased in 1867 for £933 by Alfred Watson, a soft goods tradesman, who had a mansion erected known as St George. Then in 1877/8, under architect Charles Webb for Joseph Clarke, the mansion was enlarged and renamed Mandeville Hall. The London firm of Gillow & Co. designed and furnished the exquisite interiors.
In 1924, the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary acquired Mandeville Hall. In the beginning, the Sisters slept in the stables and used the Oak Parlour as a Chapel. The Drawing Room was used as a reception room, and several bedrooms upstairs were used as dormitories while the rest of the mansion was used for community purposes and classrooms.
Restoration of the mansion began in the 1990s and has continued with generous support from the school community.
Mandeville Hall Information (3806 KB)
Public tours of Mandeville Hall are conducted regularly and wedding photography and commercial use of the mansion is permitted.
Enquiries: Steve Stefanopoulos
Heritage Collection and Records Manager
+61 3 9823 8157